What is a dyslexia assessment?
A dyslexia assessment is a measure of an individual’s cognitive abilities and attainments in order to provide a Specific Learning Difficulty (Dyslexia) so that recommendations can be evidence made for study, examinations or the workplace as appropriate.
Who will carry out your assessment?
· Your assessment will be carried out by a qualified specialist teacher holding an approved qualification (as noted in the SpLD Working Group 2005/DfES Guidelines).
· She holds a current Assessment Practising Certificate and certifies that the assessment will be conducted, and the report written in accordance with the SpLD Working Group 2005/DfES Guidelines for assessment of SpLDs.
· All our qualified assessors are listed on the Specific Learning Difficulties Assessment Standards Committee (SASC) web site www.sasc.org.uk
· Our assessors have current Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificates relating to children and adults.
How long does an assessment take?
Assessments vary in length due to the complexity of the needs of the individual and the purpose of the assessment, but you should allow at least three hours. This will allow for refreshment and comfort breaks. On some occasions, the assessment can be carried out over two sessions.
What will happen on the day?
Assessments normally start at 9.30am but this is negotiable to fit in with family/work requirements. The assessor will ask you questions about your background that are relevant to the assessment. They will then assess your reading (speed, accuracy and comprehension), spelling and writing and, if necessary, your numerical skills. An assessment of your problem solving and cognitive skills (verbal and nonverbal) will also be undertaken. You may receive some feedback from the assessor at the end of the assessment but not necessarily the results of the testing.
What will the assessment tell me?
The assessment will identify your strengths and areas for development in relation to the difficulties you are experiencing. It will also identify, in broad terms, ways in which you could be helped to overcome those difficulties. A diagnosis of a SpLD may be appropriate.
What happens after the assessment?
The Specialist Teacher will write you a detailed report with results and recommendations. You will receive your assessment report by email, 7-10 days after the assessment, once payment in full has been received. You may request a paper copy of the report, but these will no longer be sent as a matter of course. A Full Diagnostic Assessment can be used to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) at university.
If you wish this report to be used as part of the evidence for exam adjustments (JCQ Access Arrangements) then we will need to agree this in advance with the school or college (education provider). Please contact us for further details before the booking is made. All the information you give us is confidential and will not be passed on to any third party without your permission.
What you can expect from us:
· The assessor promises to perform all assessment tests in accordance with the test manuals and report all evidence in a truthful and understandable manner.
· The assessor will treat all individuals with due respect, in a non-judgmental way.
· The assessor will be prompt and organised for the assessment, act professionally and courteously at all times and take into consideration any reasonable, specific requirements of the individual.
· We understand that you may have questions about your report when you receive it and will answer these to the best of our ability. This may involve a discussion over the phone or meeting in person.
If you are unable to attend the appointment for any reason, please let us know as soon as possible by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
In the event of a cancellation after full payment has been made, or where the assessee does not attend on the day, there will be a cancellation charge of £100 to cover our costs. If you have a problem on the day contact the assessment number: 0113 3935123.
© 2020 Leeds Dyslexia Services Limited